What to do if you or someone you know is a victim of a crime

This web site is designed to provide you with information about what to do if you, or someone you know, was the victim of a crime and are not sure what to do next. If you have been the victim of a specific crime, such as rape, relationship violence, stalking, etc. please explore the tips and next step suggestions throughout this site. Even if you are not sure whether or not a crime has occurred, you are encouraged to reach out to learn about resources available.

Safety First!

  • Go to a safe place, and call 911 if you are hurt or in immediate danger.
  • If you have been physically abused or assaulted, get medical attention immediately.
  • Contact the police, and tell them that you would like to file an incident report.
  • Contact the UFPD Office of Victim Services at (352) 392-5648 or (352) 392-1111. A victim advocate can help you with medical, legal, and counseling services, including filling out a police report.
The University of Florida Police Department Office of Victim Services
51 Museum Road
P.O. Box 112150
Gainesville, FL
(352) 392-5648 (Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.)
(352) 392-1111 (after business hours and on weekends)

e-mail: ovs@mail.ufl.edu