Community Observer Program
The University of Florida Police Department offers a Community Observer Program and welcomes residents of our community, as well as non-residents to participate. All potential applicants with our agency are encouraged to participate in this worthwhile program.
The University of Florida Police Department encourages citizen involvement in the community. We truly believe it is the enlightened citizens of our community who make our job more meaningful and successful. We want to build strong communication and cooperation with you. We are dedicated, as officers, public safety dispatchers, and public service technicians to provide the highest level of service possible by allowing you to see, firsthand, how we provide our services and the challenge we may face. We believe in a relationship and partnership with the University of Florida and our community. Application must be completed prior to participation in the Community Observer Program.
The Application must include:
- Completed UFPD Community Observer Program Application. This application can be found at the bottom of this page.
- Signed Waiver of Liability and Confidentiality Agreement and Security Acknowledgement to be returned to UPD-Recruiter@ad.ufl.edu.
Limited background check must be completed prior to participation in the Community Observer Program. The maximum number of hours a participant will be allowed to participate during a Community Observer Program will be 4 hours. The applicant’s participation will be scheduled on an as-available basis and the efficiency of the Department is of utmost importance. A scheduled participation day may be canceled at any time up to the time of the participation day due to the needs of the Department. Participants will be provided with a list of program guidelines prior to the date of their participation.
- Applicant must be 18 years of age.
- Applicant’s driver license must not be suspended or revoked.
- Applicant must not have a criminal record.
- Participant will not be allowed to be armed at any time during their program participation.
- Participants have no law enforcement authority and therefore may not operate any UFPD equipment including vehicle, radios and computers or take law enforcement action at any timeduring their program participation.
- Participant may not participate in the program with a family member who is an employee of the Department.
- Exceptions to the list of restrictions may be authorized by the Patrol Captain or Designee.
Community Observer Program Application
Below is the Community Observer Program Application. Please complete the application to the best of your ability. Once completed, you will receive an email with additional forms that must be completed in order to participate in the Community Observer Program.