Active Shooter Checklist
PDF active shooter booklet prepared by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security
Click here for a PDF Version of the following checklist (88.8KB)
University of Florida Police Department
Community Response Checklist
– Active Shooter Incident –
In the event of an active shooter incident, please consider taking the following actions:
Secure immediate area
- Lock and barricade doors.
- Turn off lights.
- Close blinds.
- Turn off radios and computer monitors.
- Keep occupants calm, quiet and out of sight.
- Keep yourself out of sight and take adequate cover / protection (i.e. concrete walls, thick desks, filing cabinets). cover may protect you from bullets.
- Silence all cell phones.
- Place signs in exterior windows to identify the location of injured persons.
Un-securing an area:
- Consider risks before un-securing rooms.
- Remember, the shooter will not stop until he/she is engaged by an outside force.
- Attempts to rescue people should only be made if it can be accomplished without further endangering the persons inside a secured area.
- If doubt exists for the safety of the individuals inside the room, the area should remain secured.
- Use Emergency 911
- 392-1111 UFPD
What to Report
- Your specific location – building name and office/room number.
- Number of people at your specific location.
- Injuries – number injured, types of injuries.
- Assailants(s) – location, number of suspects, race, gender, clothing description, physical features, types of weapon(s) (e.g. long gun or hand gun), backpack, shooter’s identify if already known, separate explosions from gunfire, etc.
- Objective is to immediately isolate/engage assailant(s)
- Evacuate Victims
- Facilitate follow-up medical care, interviews, counseling, etc.
An active shooter presentation has been developed by the University of Florida Police Department’s Community Services Division. This presentation lasts approximately 60 minutes and provides information on the active shooter, law enforcement response, and what you can do as an individual to help protect yourself in this kind of situation. If your office or group is interested in receiving this presentation, please contact our Community Service’s Division at 352-392-1409.