What to do if YOU or SOMEONE YOU KNOW is sexually assaulted:

Under the provisions of Section 784.046 of the Florida Statutes, sexual violence is one incident of Sexual battery, as defined in chapter 794; A lewd or lascivious act, as defined in chapter 800, committed upon or in the presence of a person younger than 16 years of age; Luring or enticing a child, as described in chapter 787; Sexual performance by a child, as described in chapter 827; or Any other forcible felony wherein a sexual act is committed or attempted, regardless of whether criminal charges based on the incident were filed, reduced, or dismissed by the state attorney.

What to do if YOU are sexually assaulted
  • Go to a safe place, and get help quickly.
  • Contact the UFPD Office of Victim Services at (352) 392-5648 or (352) 392-1111. A victim advocate can help you with medical, legal, and counseling services.
  • Get medical attention immediately.
  • Don’t bathe or douche.
  • Save your clothing.
  • Don’t disturb the physical surrounding in which the rape took place.
  • Report the incident to the police.
  • Seek counseling.
As a victim of sexual assault, you have the right to:
  • Obtain a forensic exam whether or not you report to law enforcement.
  • Have an advocate at the forensic exam with you
  • Have the forensic exam sent for testing within 30 days, if reported to law enforcement
  • Review the law enforcement report prior to final submission
  • Be informed, present, and be heard at all crucial stages of the crinimal or juvenile proceeding
  • Have an advocate with you during a discovery deposition
  • Have identifying information about the criminal investigation be kept confidential
  • Have the offender, if charged, tested for HIV and hepatitis
  • Attend sentencing or disposition of the offender
  • Notification of judicial proceedings and scheduling changes
  • Be notified about the release of the incarcerated offender
  • Request restitution
  • Give a victim impact statement
  • Take up to 3 days of leave from work (with eligible employer)
  • Apply for an injunction if you fear for your safety or offender is nearing release
What to do if SOMEONE YOU KNOW is sexually assaulted
  • Call the UFPD Office of Victim Services at (352) 392-5648 or (352) 392-1111. A victim advocate will be able to tell you exactly what you and the victim should do.
  • Start by believing, do not judge them.
  • Give comfort; listen to what they have to say, and provide reassurance and support.
  • Encourage (but do not force) action – having a medical exam, reporting the crime, seeking counseling & advocacy, etc.
  • Don’t let your feelings get in the way of helping the victim.
What to do if you went on a date and may have been sexually assaulted.
  • If you would like to make a police report, immediately notify law enforcement. A victim advocate will be available to assist you in exploring your options. An advocate can be reached at (352) 392-5648 or (352) 392-1111.
  • If you think that you have been sexually assaulted, you should follow the same procedures you would in any other assault situation.
  • If you think that you might have been drugged, call a friend, the police, a doctor, or 911 and get to a hospital. Even if you are unsure, you should report your suspicion that you may have been drugged to law enforcement.

Alachua County Rape Crisis Center (confidential) (352) 264-6760

UFPD Office of Victim Services (confidential) (352) 392-5648